Monday, December 24, 2012

Hello, world.

So, one of my absolute favorite quotes comes from Descartes. It goes:
If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.
This directive has informed much of the philosophy that underpins my life. I research everything, I (try to) correct my own mistakes, and I sincerely believe that just about the only thing worthwhile in the universe is the accumulation of knowledge.

Until recently, however, what I've actually done with my life has had very little to do with this idea. I'm a relatively smart and well-read guy, but my knowledge of any particular subject is limited. This past spring, I decided it was time for that to change. I retaught myself all the high school math I'd forgotten and returned to my local community college with the intention of studying physics.

After successful summer and fall semesters, I'm now on break until the spring semester begins at the end of January. Calc 2 and Newtonian mechanics are behind me; Multivariable Calculus and E&M await me.

And what is this blog doing here? It's a chronicle of my descent into the world of science, mathematics, and education. I've always loved science, and I want to share my exploration of it with others. That may come in the form of applying physics to everyday situations, talking about neat things I've learned, or ranting about my school's stupid policies. We'll see where the blog goes.

There is a little more to me, however. I work full-time during the day (banging on a keyboard at the request of the FDA), which means I'm juggling work and school for the time being. I'm an avid science fiction fan, and I've been writing science fiction since I was a small child.

And there's also the matter of that life philosophy thing I talked about at the beginning of the post. I have very strange ideas about how things are and how things should be. Over the years, I've discovered that many people are quite offended by my beliefs, whereas others just find them quirky. If you fall into the former group, you probably won't stick around; if the latter, we may have some fun together.

My next post will, with any luck, have a significantly higher science to long-winded musing ratio. So until next time... uh... live long and prosper?

No comments:

Post a Comment